www.flickr.com

Sunday 31 January 2010

Week 4 and week 5!


On week 4 I chose lovely lemony tangy Common Sorrel - one of my favourite wild greens. You can eat it raw in salads or cook it as a vegetable. It goes well with fish, and makes a particularly yummy soup. I decided to try something new for the purpose of this blog. These are Sorrel tarts, a la Ray Mears:



The recipe (from the TV series "Wild Food") is fairly vague, but basically you cook the sorrel in a pan until it turns to a sort-of sludge, then add sour cream and sugar to taste, and dollop the mixture into pre-cooked pastry cases. I think I used too much cream, but they were still nice!

On week 5 I opted to try Cleavers. I've known this plant for ever (when I was little we called it Goosegrass) but never eaten it before. The taste is quite pleasant but I found that the rough texture didn't disappear on cooking so it was difficult to eat. Beggars can't be choosers though - there really isn't much else around after all the snow and ice we've had! Next week is gonna be tricky... ideas appreciated!



3 comments:

  1. Next week you could catch a squirrel! There's a cute black one keeps bouncing past my window.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you have the goosegrass just as greens, then?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not quite ready for squirrels yet. One day, though!

    Yes I did have it as a sort-of green vegetable, with pasta. Further experimentation is probably called-for!

    ReplyDelete